Indiana Key Facts:
- Indiana’s dam safety program has 5 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 217 state regulated dams.
- Indiana has 241 high hazard dams.
- 26% of the state regulated dams in Indiana have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Indiana’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $404,000.
- Indiana has reported $6.5 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Indiana has 33 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Indiana has approximately 424 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Indiana has reported $7.1 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 107 public-use airports in Indiana.
- 1,944 of the 18,953 bridges in Indiana (10.2%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 2,224 of the 18,953 bridges in Indiana (12%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Indiana received $57.9 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Indiana has 350 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 24th in the nation.
- Indiana’s ports handled 68.3 million short tons of cargo in 2012, ranking it 13th in the nation.
- Indiana has 42 freight railroads covering 4,273 miles across the state, ranking it 9th by mileage.
- Indiana has 97,288 miles of public roads.
- Indiana has 9,965 miles of major roads, 16% of which are in poor condition.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Indiana motorists $2.1 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $391.41 per motorist.
- Indiana has 33.4 million annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Indiana has reported an unmet need of $443 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Indiana spent a total of $2.4 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Indiana schools have $3.9 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Indiana produces 3.699 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 38th.
- Capitol Hill Buzzing with Infrastructure Funding Proposals
Between President Obama addressing infrastructure needs in his State of the Union Address, the Virginia Report Card release and additional infrastructure funding legislation being proposed at the federal level, ASCE is optimistic that a long-term,...Read More >>
- Increased Optimism for Infrastructure Funding Fix
With Congress mapping out transportation plans for the upcoming year and the increasing need for infrastructure investment, it is critical that lawmakers work expeditiously and in a bipartisan manner to address our nation’s dire...Read More >>
- New Year, New Congress, New Hope for Infrastructure Investment
It’s a new year, and with a new Congress in session, there is hope that a federal funding solution for infrastructure can soon be reached. Congress has given us reasons to be optimistic, with more...Read More >>
- San Francisco Strengthens Water Pipelines Against Earthquake Vulnerabilities
With a D+ cumulative grade for our nation’s infrastructure and the federal Highway Trust Funding heading toward a fiscal cliff in May 2015, the great infrastructure innovations happening around the country are often overlooked. The...Read More >>
- Michigan Legislature Defers to the Public on Gas Tax
Last week Michigan’s House and Senate leadership worked tirelessly with Governor Rick Snyder to reach a deal before closing out the 2014 legislative session. The House and Senate initially passed differing transportation funding measures. Both...Read More >>
- This Week in Infrastructure: The Cascading Effect of Aging Infrastructure
As the weather changes and our infrastructure continues to be neglected, issues and disruptions are increasing. Infrastructure collapses, like the water main break in DC, remind us that failing infrastructure is fragile and unpredictable—and...Read More >>