Kentucky Key Facts:
- Kentucky’s dam safety program has 5.2 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 185 state regulated dams.
- Kentucky has 179 high hazard dams.
- 32% of the state regulated dams in Kentucky have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Kentucky’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $548,000.
- Kentucky has reported $6.2 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Kentucky has 14 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Kentucky has approximately 125 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Kentucky has reported $2.1 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 60 public-use airports in Kentucky.
- 1,234 of the 14,116 bridges in Kentucky (8.7%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 3,202 of the 14,116 bridges in Kentucky (22.7%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Kentucky received $60.1 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Kentucky has 1,590 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 4th in the nation.
- Kentucky’s ports handled 94.7 million short tons of cargo in 2009, ranking it 7th in the nation.
- Kentucky has 13 freight railroads covering 2,526 miles across the state, ranking it 28th by mileage.
- Kentucky has 79,321 miles of public roads.
- Kentucky has 6,960 miles of major roads, 7% of which are in poor condition.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Kentucky motorists $940 million a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $315.11 per motorist.
- Kentucky has 25.4 million annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Kentucky has reported an unmet need of $27.9 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Kentucky spent a total of $2.4 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Kentucky schools have $1 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Kentucky produces 3.020 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 28th.
- Transportation Knows Neither Red Nor Blue
With the Grow America Act gaining national attention and an increasing number of states raising their gas tax, our nation’s infrastructure funding needs are being addressed more intentionally. However, with the federal surface transportation bill...Read More >>
- ASCE Recognizes Lawmakers’ Infrastructure Leadership
To successfully save America’s infrastructure, the U.S. needs strong leaders dedicated to investing in our roads, bridges, water pipes, levees and other infrastructure. Two such lawmakers who exhibit bold leadership and resolve to improve our...Read More >>
- Lt Governors Talk Infrastructure Investment
Infrastructure investment was a key topic on the agenda at the The National Lieutenant Governors Association (NLGA) annual Federal-State Relations meeting this week in Washington, DC. ASCE’s Executive Director Tom Smith participated in a panel...Read More >>