Louisiana Key Facts:
How is Louisiana’s Infrastructure Doing?
- Louisiana’s dam safety program has 4.5 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 107 state regulated dams.
- Louisiana has 45 high hazard dams.
- 100% of the state regulated dams in Louisiana have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Louisiana’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $723,887.
- Louisiana has reported $5.3 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Louisiana has 9 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Louisiana has approximately 3,122 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Louisiana has reported $4 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 75 public-use airports in Louisiana.
- 1,827 of the 13,050 bridges in Louisiana (14%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 1,963 of the 13,050 bridges in Louisiana (15%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Louisiana received $171.7 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Louisiana has 2,820 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 2nd in the nation.
- Louisiana’s ports handled 510.8 million short tons of cargo in 2012, ranking it 1st in the nation.
- Louisiana has 17 freight railroads covering 2,858 miles across the state, ranking it 24th by mileage.
- Louisiana has 61,326 miles of public roads.
- Louisiana has 6,559 miles of major roads, 19% of which are in poor condition.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Louisiana motorists $1.4 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $463.91 per motorist.
- Louisiana has 35.5 million annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Louisiana has reported an unmet need of $207 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Louisiana spent a total of $1.7 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Louisiana schools have $7.3 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Louisiana produces 3.577 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 30th.
- This Week in Infrastructure: The Cascading Effect of Aging Infrastructure
As the weather changes and our infrastructure continues to be neglected, issues and disruptions are increasing. Infrastructure collapses, like the water main break in DC, remind us that failing infrastructure is fragile and unpredictable—and...Read More >>
- Nevada Report Card Reveals a $15B Infrastructure Problem
During the past twenty years Nevada experienced one of the largest growth surges in the country and then one of the worst downturns from late 2008 through 2013. This roller coaster economy decreased funding levels...Read More >>
- State Legislators Come Together to Discuss Infrastructure Issues
State legislators and legislative staff from around the country gathered in Washington, DC last week to share innovative solutions to the pressing problems facing states, and infrastructure issues were among the topics they tackled. During...Read More >>
- This Week in Infrastructure: All the Reasons to Fix the Trust Fund
Reports on transportation investment and its overall benefits to the economy provide incentive for Congress to #FixTheTrustFund as state lawmakers make their own push for infrastructure investment. On Tuesday, the American Association of State Highway...Read More >>
- Advocate Profile: Shawn Kelley, Ph.D., P.E., M. ASCE
Shawn Kelley Ph.D., P.E., M.ASCE is an active member of the Vermont section. He works as a firm shareholder for GeoDesign, Inc. a consulting firm headquartered in Middlebury, CT, providing geotechnical, construction, and environmental engineering...Read More >>
- This Week in Infrastructure: Final Push in 2014 for Highway Trust Fund Fix
Power failures, drivers frustrated with abysmal road conditions and increased media attention to our nation’s aging infrastructure have rattled Americans and driven more states to pursue raising their gas tax as a way of fixing...Read More >>
- Higher Gas Taxes Will Help Michigan Build a 21st Century Infrastructure
In 1997, Dolly was cloned, we were excited by the release of IE 4, and ASCE hadn’t yet released its first Report Card for America’s Infrastructure. It is also the last time Michigan increased its...Read More >>
- ASCE Past President Flies Over Pittsburgh on 60 Minutes
ASCE Past President Andy Herrmann flew over the “city of bridges” with 60 Minutes’ Steve Kroft to highlight America’s aging bridges in a segment that aired Sunday, Nov. 23. Falling apart: America’s neglected infrastructure Herrmann...Read More >>
- This Week in Infrastructure: Thankful for Ramped-Up Media Interest in Infrastructure Renewal
With holiday travel underway and harsh weather already arriving in some regions, the state of our nation’s highways will become even more apparent as thousands of Americans take to the roads to visit family and...Read More >>