Louisiana Key Facts:
How is Louisiana’s Infrastructure Doing?
- Louisiana’s dam safety program has 4.5 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 107 state regulated dams.
- Louisiana has 45 high hazard dams.
- 100% of the state regulated dams in Louisiana have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Louisiana’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $723,887.
- Louisiana has reported $5.3 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Louisiana has 9 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Louisiana has approximately 3,122 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Louisiana has reported $4 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 75 public-use airports in Louisiana.
- 1,827 of the 13,050 bridges in Louisiana (14%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 1,963 of the 13,050 bridges in Louisiana (15%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Louisiana received $171.7 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Louisiana has 2,820 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 2nd in the nation.
- Louisiana’s ports handled 510.8 million short tons of cargo in 2012, ranking it 1st in the nation.
- Louisiana has 17 freight railroads covering 2,858 miles across the state, ranking it 24th by mileage.
- Louisiana has 61,326 miles of public roads.
- Louisiana has 6,559 miles of major roads, 19% of which are in poor condition.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Louisiana motorists $1.4 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $463.91 per motorist.
- Louisiana has 35.5 million annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Louisiana has reported an unmet need of $207 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Louisiana spent a total of $1.7 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Louisiana schools have $7.3 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Louisiana produces 3.577 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 30th.
- Transportation Knows Neither Red Nor Blue
With the Grow America Act gaining national attention and an increasing number of states raising their gas tax, our nation’s infrastructure funding needs are being addressed more intentionally. However, with the federal surface transportation bill...Read More >>
- ASCE Recognizes Lawmakers’ Infrastructure Leadership
To successfully save America’s infrastructure, the U.S. needs strong leaders dedicated to investing in our roads, bridges, water pipes, levees and other infrastructure. Two such lawmakers who exhibit bold leadership and resolve to improve our...Read More >>
- Lt Governors Talk Infrastructure Investment
Infrastructure investment was a key topic on the agenda at the The National Lieutenant Governors Association (NLGA) annual Federal-State Relations meeting this week in Washington, DC. ASCE’s Executive Director Tom Smith participated in a panel...Read More >>
- This Week in Infrastructure: Water Infrastructure Incurs More Attention
Amidst the visible need for highway, bridge and pothole repairs, we often forget the growing needs of our nation’s water infrastructure. According to ASCE’s Report Card, there are 240,000 water main breaks per year and...Read More >>