Louisiana Key Facts:
How is Louisiana’s Infrastructure Doing?
- Louisiana’s dam safety program has 4.5 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 107 state regulated dams.
- Louisiana has 45 high hazard dams.
- 100% of the state regulated dams in Louisiana have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Louisiana’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $723,887.
- Louisiana has reported $5.3 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Louisiana has 9 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Louisiana has approximately 3,122 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Louisiana has reported $4 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 75 public-use airports in Louisiana.
- 1,827 of the 13,050 bridges in Louisiana (14%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 1,963 of the 13,050 bridges in Louisiana (15%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Louisiana received $171.7 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Louisiana has 2,820 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 2nd in the nation.
- Louisiana’s ports handled 510.8 million short tons of cargo in 2012, ranking it 1st in the nation.
- Louisiana has 17 freight railroads covering 2,858 miles across the state, ranking it 24th by mileage.
- Louisiana has 61,326 miles of public roads.
- Louisiana has 6,559 miles of major roads, 19% of which are in poor condition.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Louisiana motorists $1.4 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $463.91 per motorist.
- Louisiana has 35.5 million annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Louisiana has reported an unmet need of $207 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Louisiana spent a total of $1.7 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Louisiana schools have $7.3 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Louisiana produces 3.577 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 30th.
- Capitol Hill Buzzing with Infrastructure Funding Proposals
Between President Obama addressing infrastructure needs in his State of the Union Address, the Virginia Report Card release and additional infrastructure funding legislation being proposed at the federal level, ASCE is optimistic that a long-term,...Read More >>
- Increased Optimism for Infrastructure Funding Fix
With Congress mapping out transportation plans for the upcoming year and the increasing need for infrastructure investment, it is critical that lawmakers work expeditiously and in a bipartisan manner to address our nation’s dire...Read More >>
- New Year, New Congress, New Hope for Infrastructure Investment
It’s a new year, and with a new Congress in session, there is hope that a federal funding solution for infrastructure can soon be reached. Congress has given us reasons to be optimistic, with more...Read More >>
- San Francisco Strengthens Water Pipelines Against Earthquake Vulnerabilities
With a D+ cumulative grade for our nation’s infrastructure and the federal Highway Trust Funding heading toward a fiscal cliff in May 2015, the great infrastructure innovations happening around the country are often overlooked. The...Read More >>
- Michigan Legislature Defers to the Public on Gas Tax
Last week Michigan’s House and Senate leadership worked tirelessly with Governor Rick Snyder to reach a deal before closing out the 2014 legislative session. The House and Senate initially passed differing transportation funding measures. Both...Read More >>