Michigan Key Facts:
Water and Environment
- Michigan’s dam safety program has 3.5 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 291.1 state regulated dams.
- Michigan has 161 high hazard dams.
- 97% of the state regulated dams in Michigan have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Michigan’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $304,000.
- Michigan has reported $11.8 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Michigan has 66 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Michigan has approximately 159 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Michigan has reported $3.7 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 229 public-use airports in Michigan.
- 1,354 of the 11,000 bridges in Michigan (12.3%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 1,672 of the 11,000 bridges in Michigan (15.2%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Michigan received $101.6 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Michigan’s ports handled 52.1 million short tons of cargo in 2009, ranking it 16th in the nation.
- Michigan has 26 freight railroads covering 3,634 miles across the state, ranking it 12th by mileage.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Michigan motorists $2.534 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $357 per motorist.
- 38% of Michigan’s roads are in poor or mediocre condition.
- Michigan has 121,650 public road miles.
- Michigan’s highway vehicle-miles traveled in 2009 was approximately 9,878 per capita, ranking it 31st in the nation.
- Michigan’s gas tax of 38.7 cents per gallon has not been increased in 1 year.
- Michigan has 99,281 annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Michigan has reported an unmet need of $272 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Michigan spent a total of $5.5 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Michigan schools have $8.9 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Michigan produces 4.083 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 25th.
The feed is either empty or unavailable.