Minnesota Key Facts:
- Minnesota’s dam safety program has 5.5 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 199 state regulated dams.
- Minnesota has 24 high hazard dams.
- 96% of the state regulated dams in Minnesota have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Minnesota’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $388,000.
- Minnesota has reported $7.4 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Minnesota has 25 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Minnesota has approximately 239 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Minnesota has reported $4.1 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 154 public-use airports in Minnesota.
- 1,086 of the 13,137 bridges in Minnesota (8.3%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 427 of the 13,137 bridges in Minnesota (3.2%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Minnesota received $31.5 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Minnesota has 260 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 27th in the nation.
- Minnesota’s ports handled 42.9 million short tons of cargo in 2012, ranking it 18th in the nation.
- Minnesota has 18 freight railroads covering 4,521 miles across the state, ranking it 8th by mileage.
- Minnesota has 138,832 miles of public roads.
- Minnesota has 14,584 miles of major roads, 11% of which are in poor condition.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Minnesota motorists $1.2 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $396.25 per motorist.
- Minnesota has 101.8 million annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Minnesota has reported an unmet need of $375 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Minnesota spent a total of $3.3 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Minnesota schools have $3.7 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Minnesota produces 7.480 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 12th.
- Senator’s 2020 Vision For America’s Infrastructure
Aging infrastructure, graded at a D+ national GPA, is no secret. In fact, it is the news each and every day. From a water main break that hindered a morning commute in DC, to the...Read More >>
- Capitol Hill Buzzing with Infrastructure Funding Proposals
Between President Obama addressing infrastructure needs in his State of the Union Address, the Virginia Report Card release and additional infrastructure funding legislation being proposed at the federal level, ASCE is optimistic that a long-term,...Read More >>
- Increased Optimism for Infrastructure Funding Fix
With Congress mapping out transportation plans for the upcoming year and the increasing need for infrastructure investment, it is critical that lawmakers work expeditiously and in a bipartisan manner to address our nation’s dire...Read More >>
- New Year, New Congress, New Hope for Infrastructure Investment
It’s a new year, and with a new Congress in session, there is hope that a federal funding solution for infrastructure can soon be reached. Congress has given us reasons to be optimistic, with more...Read More >>
- San Francisco Strengthens Water Pipelines Against Earthquake Vulnerabilities
With a D+ cumulative grade for our nation’s infrastructure and the federal Highway Trust Funding heading toward a fiscal cliff in May 2015, the great infrastructure innovations happening around the country are often overlooked. The...Read More >>