Minnesota Key Facts:
- Minnesota’s dam safety program has 5.5 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 199 state regulated dams.
- Minnesota has 24 high hazard dams.
- 96% of the state regulated dams in Minnesota have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Minnesota’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $388,000.
- Minnesota has reported $7.4 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Minnesota has 25 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Minnesota has approximately 239 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Minnesota has reported $4.1 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 154 public-use airports in Minnesota.
- 1,086 of the 13,137 bridges in Minnesota (8.3%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 427 of the 13,137 bridges in Minnesota (3.2%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Minnesota received $31.5 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Minnesota has 260 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 27th in the nation.
- Minnesota’s ports handled 42.9 million short tons of cargo in 2012, ranking it 18th in the nation.
- Minnesota has 18 freight railroads covering 4,521 miles across the state, ranking it 8th by mileage.
- Minnesota has 138,832 miles of public roads.
- Minnesota has 14,584 miles of major roads, 11% of which are in poor condition.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Minnesota motorists $1.2 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $396.25 per motorist.
- Minnesota has 101.8 million annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Minnesota has reported an unmet need of $375 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Minnesota spent a total of $3.3 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Minnesota schools have $3.7 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Minnesota produces 7.480 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 12th.
- Transportation Knows Neither Red Nor Blue
With the Grow America Act gaining national attention and an increasing number of states raising their gas tax, our nation’s infrastructure funding needs are being addressed more intentionally. However, with the federal surface transportation bill...Read More >>
- ASCE Recognizes Lawmakers’ Infrastructure Leadership
To successfully save America’s infrastructure, the U.S. needs strong leaders dedicated to investing in our roads, bridges, water pipes, levees and other infrastructure. Two such lawmakers who exhibit bold leadership and resolve to improve our...Read More >>
- Lt Governors Talk Infrastructure Investment
Infrastructure investment was a key topic on the agenda at the The National Lieutenant Governors Association (NLGA) annual Federal-State Relations meeting this week in Washington, DC. ASCE’s Executive Director Tom Smith participated in a panel...Read More >>