New Jersey Key Facts:
- New Jersey’s dam safety program has 13 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 130 state regulated dams.
- New Jersey has 218 high hazard dams.
- 100% of the state regulated dams in New Jersey have an Emergency Action Plan.
- New Jersey’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $1,254,000.
- New Jersey has reported $7.9 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- New Jersey has 111 sites on the National Priorities List.
- New Jersey has approximately 126 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- New Jersey has reported $32.5 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 46 public-use airports in New Jersey.
- 624 of the 6,566 bridges in New Jersey (9.5%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 1,710 of the 6,566 bridges in New Jersey (26%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- New Jersey received $172.2 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- New Jersey has 360 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 23rd in the nation.
- New Jersey’s ports handled 152.7 million short tons of cargo in 2012, ranking it 4th in the nation.
- New Jersey has 18 freight railroads covering 983 miles across the state, ranking it 40th by mileage.
- New Jersey has 39,272 miles of public roads.
- New Jersey has 6,822 miles of major roads, 35% of which are in poor condition.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs New Jersey motorists $3.6 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $604.88 per motorist.
- New Jersey has 401.2 million annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- New Jersey has reported an unmet need of $323 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in New Jersey spent a total of $7.3 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that New Jersey schools have $1 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- New Jersey produces .868 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 46th.
- States Head to the Hill to Talk Transportation
Among several transportation-related Congressional hearings this week, the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works hosted U.S. DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx, the governors of Alabama and Vermont, and the South Dakota DOT secretary to...Read More >>
- Senator’s 2020 Vision For America’s Infrastructure
Aging infrastructure, graded at a D+ national GPA, is no secret. In fact, it is the news each and every day. From a water main break that hindered a morning commute in DC, to the...Read More >>
- Capitol Hill Buzzing with Infrastructure Funding Proposals
Between President Obama addressing infrastructure needs in his State of the Union Address, the Virginia Report Card release and additional infrastructure funding legislation being proposed at the federal level, ASCE is optimistic that a long-term,...Read More >>
- Increased Optimism for Infrastructure Funding Fix
With Congress mapping out transportation plans for the upcoming year and the increasing need for infrastructure investment, it is critical that lawmakers work expeditiously and in a bipartisan manner to address our nation’s dire...Read More >>
- New Year, New Congress, New Hope for Infrastructure Investment
It’s a new year, and with a new Congress in session, there is hope that a federal funding solution for infrastructure can soon be reached. Congress has given us reasons to be optimistic, with more...Read More >>