Pennsylvania Key Facts:
Water and Environment
- Pennsylvania’s dam safety program has 28 Full-Time Employees that each oversee an average of 118.8 state regulated dams.
- Pennsylvania has 852 high hazard dams.
- 96% of the state regulated dams in Pennsylvania have an Emergency Action Plan.
- Pennsylvania’s state dam safety program has an annual budget of $2,502,295.
- Pennsylvania has reported $11.4 billion in drinking water infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- Pennsylvania has 96 sites on the National Priorities List.
- Pennsylvania has approximately 199 miles of levees according to the current FEMA Midterm Levee Inventory.
- Pennsylvania has reported $17.9 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
- There are 132 public-use airports in Pennsylvania.
- 5,540 of the 22,669 bridges in Pennsylvania (24.4%) are considered structurally deficient.
- 4,370 of the 22,669 bridges in Pennsylvania (19.3%) are considered functionally obsolete.
- Pennsylvania received $429.3 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.
- Pennsylvania has 260 miles of inland waterways, ranking it 28th in the nation.
- Pennsylvania’s ports handled 90.8 million short tons of cargo in 2009, ranking it 8th in the nation.
- Pennsylvania has 55 freight railroads covering 5,071 miles across the state, ranking it 5th by mileage.
- Driving on roads in need of repair costs Pennsylvania motorists $2.947 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $341 per motorist.
- 57% of Pennsylvania’s roads are in poor or mediocre condition.
- Pennsylvania has 121,772 public road miles.
- Pennsylvania’s highway vehicle-miles traveled in 2009 was approximately 7,889 per capita, ranking it 45th in the nation.
- Pennsylvania’s gas tax of 32.3 cents per gallon has not been increased in 6 years.
- Pennsylvania has 450,252 annual unlinked passenger trips via transit systems – motor bus, heavy rail, light rail, and commuter rail.
Parks and Recreation
- Pennsylvania has reported an unmet need of $24.5 million for its parks system.
- Public school districts in Pennsylvania spent a total of $8 billion on capital outlays for school construction and acquisition of land and existing structures in fiscal years 2005–2008.
- It is estimated that Pennsylvania schools have $9.3 billion in infrastructure funding needs.
- Pennsylvania produces 6.577 gigawatt-hours of renewable energy every year, ranking it 17th.
The feed is either empty or unavailable.